1.1 Definition of OS
What is an Operating System?
An operating system is a program that manages the computer hardware. It acts as an intermediate between the user of the computer and the computer hardware.
According to their task completion, they are varied different kinds of Operating system are used for different computer systems. For example,
1. Mainframe Operating system are designed to optimize utilization of hardware.
2. Personal Computer (PC) operating system support complex games, business applications.
3. Handheld operating system used to interact with user easily.
Goal of Operating System :
1. It should be convenient to the user.
2. It should be efficient to the user.
Abstract view of the Components of a Computer System :